Day 74- Thankyou Mississippi and Hello Memphis Tennessee

Got up early and headed off at 7am as I had 38 miles to do and wanted to get to Memphis and be able to chill and enjoy it more as I have a day off tomorrow. Magic sunrise and warm so a great start.

Day 248 Day 249 Day 250 Day 251

Pretty straight road again but some nice views and things to look at. I ran ok for the first couple of hours once my ankle warmed up but then just couldn’t really be bothered running so walked fast. I have noticed that it also gives my legs a rest and I tend to start running again later in the day and feel a lot better.

Day 254 Day 261 Day 270 Day 22 Day 213 Day 216

In the middle of nowhere I found this museum so dropped in for a look.  awesome old building.

Day 24 Day 25 Day 26 Day 27 Day 28 Day 29

Day 210 Day 211

Today was a special day as I would be finishing up Mississippi state which only lasted 5 days and arriving in to Tennnesse to get to Memphis. But more huge is that at mile 26 I hit the 2000 Mile mark( 3220kms), holy shit thats a long way. I love getting to these numbers as it makes the end total seem smaller and closer.

Day 220 Day 219 Day 255 Day 257 Day 258

Didn’t have any paper in the buggy so looked around for some rubbish on the said of the road.

Day 262 Day 264 Day 265 Day 268

The run into Memphis was great and I pasted through a lot of different neighbourhoods with so many different buildings. Had to wait on a train for 20 minutes but at the end of the day sitting in the sun is kinda nice.

Day 269 Day 271 Day 272 Day 270 Day 221 Day 222

I headed straight for Beale St and at one end of it is the mighty Mississippi river and it was looking awesome with the sun out. Lots of people out running and exercising which was great to see. A couple of cute ladies out too.

Day 224 Day 226 Day 227 Day 229 Day 231 Day 232


Then I walked down Beale street , lots of tourists out and Live tunes playing. Great to be here.



Day 233 Day 234 Day 235 Day 236 Day 238 Day 240 Day 242 Day 241 Day 245


Look who dropped by today, The awesomeest crew ever, Vanessa and Shacky were cruising around town and came over, Pat was at Graceland seeing the King. Missed you guys .


van, shacky jup memphis

Early in the day I had had a text from Vincent at Trail Toes, He had been in Knoxville for a marathon and was coming to see me, I was super excited which helped keep me moving nicely today. I meet Vincent through John Sharp in San Antonio just before I started the run and he hooked me up with his awesome product Trail Toes which is a anti friction foot and body cream. Running day after day things rub all the time and I have been using it almost everyday with no problems at all. It’s bloody awesome stuff , check it out HEREWe went out for a beer and dinner. Can’t thank Vincent enough for dropping by and his awesome support in so many ways. 

Day 247


So a great day and got a few milestones , saw friends and got to hang out and see Memphis Beale st. Happy happy day. Thankyou so much everyone.

2 thoughts on “Day 74- Thankyou Mississippi and Hello Memphis Tennessee

  1. Reblogged this on Vanessa Runs and commented:
    We’ve got a new mailing address! If you’d like to send a care package, shoot me a Facebook message or an email at It must arrive by April 7th for us to receive it.

    Need ideas for what to send? In the past we have most used:

    • Walmart or Visa gift cards for food and supplies (Pat’s staple is avocados)
    • Vegan baked goods or snacks
    • Notes of love and encouragement, especially from kids

    As always, we are so thankful for your support!

    Pat hit the 2,000 mile mark at the Tennessee border. We drove him to Roy Crossman’s home to spend the night. Thanks to Jeff Genova for hooking us up with Roy. The guys stayed up late enjoying Jeff’s Core Brewery donation and it was off again early in the morning.

    Jeff, Roy and Gene all joined Pat on his run through Memphis. They took him through the best parts of the city: Sun Records, Beale Street, Shelby Farms, etc. We called it quits a little early (50K) to catch a show at BB King’s.

    The music at BB King’s was awesome and Shacky said it was some of the best ribs he had ever tasted (dry rub). The food service was also the worst we had ever experienced.

    We took a walk down Beale Street and took advantage of all the photo ops. We took our photo with the King and peeked though the windows of the Gibson guitar factory.

    The next day (Monday) was a rest day. Pat slept in while I took a much-needed trip to Planned Parenthood. It was the most expensive PP visit I had ever made ($80 for a depo shot) and I was stuck there for a grueling 2.5 hours with the cheesiest ever safe-sex film blaring in my ear. It was so loud I couldn’t even read and it was on repeat so by the time I got out of there I had it memorized.

    Maybe it’s just me, but if you’re going to keep people in there for more than two hours, maybe don’t put a ten-minute film on repeat. I finally got out of there pretty annoyed and feeling a little crazier. On a positive note, nobody tried to talk me into having kids like they did in Pennsylvania. California has THE best Planned Parenthoods and surprisingly, Utah was really good to me too. This was the worst.

    We took the dog to the park immediately after that since she had been cooped up in the RV that entire time. After wearing her out, we went out to the breakfast we had planned, except it was now afternoon. Shacky and I enjoyed an awesome breakfast. Again, terrible service but great food.

    Then it was off to the zoo which was the best way I could think of to spend the day. We skipped Graceland to go to the zoo instead because animals. Elvis was way before my time and I have a strong aversion to tourist traps.

    The zoo was only $15 and surprisingly cool. We spent 2.5 hours there and could have easily spent an extra hour at least. We rushed a bit since we wanted to hit up the planetarium as well. Some of those monkeys I could sit and watch all day and the polar bears were amazing. The nocturnal monkeys in the night house kept coming up to me and following my finger on the glass. Extremely curious little buggers. Made my day. The aquarium was another highlight for me and I saw my first ever armadillo! Still hoping to catch one in the wild though (aka side of the road).

    After the zoo we took Ginger to the park again. Poor thing is starting to struggle with crewing. We take her out as much as we can, but it’s nowhere near the life on the trail she is accustomed to with miles of open space to roam. I’ve noticed a shift in her willingness to put up with crew life—when we left her with a friend a couple nights ago she ran away and she has NEVER done that. When we do let her out, she doesn’t listen to us like she used to. She rushes off and refuses to come back into the RV. She also gets annoyed with people crowding her space on the bed. We have a lot more stuff in the RV that we usually do and she has limited space to move around. I feel so bad for her sometimes.

    Shacky and I decided that after this trip is over, we are having The Summer of Ginger. We’re taking her to Colorado and getting her all the trail therapy she can handle. I’m trying to spend a lot more time with her instead of hanging out in hotels that don’t allow dogs. Extra hugs for her too. Only a couple more months, Ginger!

    Kitty, as usual, don’t give a shit.

    After the zoo Shacky and I took a trip to the planetarium but it was still under renovations. We watched an Imax movie there instead about whales. I love me some whales.

    After that it was off to meet up with Juppy who managed to catch up to us! He has been on his feet around 10 hours each day pushing his buggy like a rockstar. We managed to transfer the files I needed off his GoPro and have a quick hello.

    Then it was dinner with Pat and Tim and his girls. Tim is joining us for the next couple of days and will be keeping Pat company. They all did the Graceland thing, then hung out in the guitar-shaped pool at our hotel.

    Today we’re back on the road. Pat is out there running as I type this. He plans to cover 40-45 miles today. The rest day did him good and he’s feeling amazing. The weather is great today too—back to the sunshine he loves.

    I’m on a high because my book is doing so well. The Kindle version is out and the hard copy will be out next week. Thank you so much to everyone who has bought, shared or commented. I can’t keep up with everything posted but I’m feeling the love.

    As always, keep track of our team member Jup on his blog below. He’s having some amazing experiences of his own.


  2. Awesome to keep in touch with you special guys that have run with Jup and I know will always be there for him.
    We are with you all from afar. Thanks Gaye (Jups Mum)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s